Livia Sima, Dr.
Currently working on
Therapeutic targeting of melanoma cells using nanoparticles as drug delivery vechicles
Modulation of mesenchymal stem cells osteogenic differentiation by extracellular phisico-chemical stimuli (biomaterials, simulated microgravity, growth factors)
Results that stand as premises to my current TG2 research were presented at the STOP CANCER meeting in 2019 (in Romanian): https://youtu.be/r8kcAXT2jEc
An article highlighting our work on graphene was recently published in issue 117 of Research Outreach at page 38: http://cdn.researchoutreach.org/Flipbooks/RO117/index.html; https://researchoutreach.org/articles/targeting-melanoma-cells-drug-infused-graphene-matrix/
In 2016 she joined Daniela Matei’s group at Northwestern University in Chicago, USA. As a Postdoctoral Fellow, she investigated the role of tissue transglutaminase (TG2) in modulating the anti-tumour immune response in mouse models of ovarian cancer and tested small molecule inhibitors targeting TG2-fibronectin interaction. Livia returned to IB-AR in 2018 with a keen interest in investigating context-dependent cell signaling in the tumour microenvironment and developing new methods related to cancer research. She is currently team leader within TERAMED grant: “Integrated development project for advanced medical treatment technologies” (PN-III-P1-1.2-PCCDI-2017-0728) and principal investigator of the TG2TARGET (PN-III-P1-1.1-TE- 2019-0670) and TG2THERAPY (PN-III-P2-2.1-PED- 2019-1543) research grants.
Livia Sima is the Secretary of the Romanian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (since 2015), Associate Member of the American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) (since 2017) and Member of the Romanian Cytometry Association (ACR) (since 2011). She was elected Secretary of the Scientific Committee of the Institute of Biochemistry in 2019.
- . The Outside-In Journey of Tissue Transglutaminase in Cancer. Cells, 2022, 11(11).IF=6.60
- . Loss of host tissue transglutaminase boosts antitumor T cell immunity by altering STAT1/STAT3 phosphorylation in ovarian cancer. Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer, 2021(9):e002682.IF=13.75
- . Pyramidal shaped ceria nano-biointerfaces for studying the early bone cell response. Applied Surface Science, 2020, 533(10).IF=6.70
- . Proteomics of regenerated tissue in response to a titanium implant with a bioactive surface in a rat tibial defect model. Scientific reports, 2020, 10(1):18493.IF=3.99
- . Small Molecules Target the Interaction between Tissue Transglutaminase and Fibronectin. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2019, 6(18):1057-1068.IF=4.86
- . Analysis of EYA3 Phosphorylation by Src Kinase Identifies Residues Involved in Cell Proliferation. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2019, 20(24):6307.IF=4.18
- . Macrophage in vitro Response on Hybrid Coatings Obtained by Matrix Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation. Coatings, 2019(9).IF=2.35
- . Tissue Tranglutaminase Regulates Interactions between Ovarian Cancer Stem Cells and the Tumor Niche. Cancer research, 2018, 78(11):2990-3001.IF=8.38
- . In vitro behavior of human mesenchymal stem cells on poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) based biointerfaces obtained by matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation. Applied Surface Science, 2018, 440:712-724.IF=5.16
- . Physical-chemical characterization and biological assessment of simple and lithium-doped biological-derived hydroxyapatite thin films for a new generation of metallic implants. Applied Surface Science, 2018, 439:724-735.IF=5.15
- . Physical-chemical characterization and biological assessment of simple and lithium-doped biological-derived hydroxyapatite thin films for a new generation of metallic implants, 2018(Applied Surface Science).
- . Targeting the Microenvironment in High Grade Serous Ovarian Cancer. Cancers, 2018, 10(8).
- . Development of a DsRed-expressing HepaRG cell line for real-time monitoring of hepatocyte-like cell differentiation by fluorescence imaging, with application in screening of novel geometric microstructured cell growth substrates. Biomedical microdevices, 2017, 19(1):3.IF=2.08
- . Antimicrobial polycaprolactone/polyethylene glycol embedded lysozyme coatings of Ti implants for osteoblast functional properties in tissue engineering. Applied Surface Science, 2017, 417:234-243.
- . Biocomposite coatings based on Poly (3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate)/calcium phosphates obtained by MAPLE for bone tissue engineering. Applied Surface Science, 2017, 417:204-212.
- . Modern Technologies for Creating the Thin-Film Systems and Coatings, 2017:171-191.
- . Laser deposition of poly(3-hydroxybutyric acid-co-3-hydroxyvaleric acid) - lysozyme microspheres based coatings with anti-microbial properties. International journal of pharmaceutics, 2017, 521(1-2):184-195.
- . Lead-Free Piezoelectric (Ba,Ca)(Zr,Ti)O3 Thin Films for Biocompatible and Flexible Devices. ACS applied materials & interfaces, 2017, 9(1):266-278.
- . Extracellular Signals for Guiding Mesenchymal Stem Cells Osteogenic Fate. Current stem cell research & therapy, 2017, 12(2):139-144.
- . Cross-talk between Dopachrome Tautomerase and Caveolin-1 Is Melanoma Cell Phenotype-specific and Potentially Involved in Tumor Progression. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2016, 291(24):12481-500.IF=4.12
- . Cell adhesion response on femtosecond laser initiated liquid assisted silicon surface. Current topics in medicinal chemistry, 2014, 14(5):624-9.IF=3.40
- . Value of dopachrome tautomerase detection in the assessment of melanocytic tumors. Melanoma research, 2014, 24(3):219-36.
- . MAPLE-based method to obtain biodegradable hybrid polymeric thin films with embedded antitumoral agents. Biomedical microdevices, 2014, 16(1):11-21.
- . Isolation method and xeno-free culture conditions influence multipotent differentiation capacity of human Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem cell research & therapy, 2013, 4(4):81.IF=4.63
- . Dermal cells distribution on laser-structured ormosils. Journal of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, 2013, 7(2):129-38.
- . Internalization and intracellular trafficking of poly(propylene imine) glycodendrimers with maltose shell in melanoma cells. Current medicinal chemistry, 2012, 19(29):4955-68.IF=4.07
- . AP-3 and Rabip4' coordinately regulate spatial distribution of lysosomes. PloS one, 2012, 7(10):e48142.IF=3.73
- . Endocytosis and trafficking of human lactoferrin in macrophage-like human THP-1 cells (1). Biochemistry and cell biology = Biochimie et biologie cellulaire, 2012, 90(3):449-55.IF=2.92
- . Fibronectin layers by matrix-assisted pulsed laser evaporation from saline buffer-based cryogenic targets. Acta biomaterialia, 2011, 7(10):3780-8.IF=4.87
- . Levan nanostructured thin films by MAPLE assembling. Biomacromolecules, 2011, 12(6):2251-6.
- . Biocompatibility and bioactivity enhancement of Ce stabilized ZrO(2) doped HA coatings by controlled porosity change of Al(2) O(3) substrates. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials, 2011, 96(2):218-24.
- . Tailoring immobilization of immunoglobulin by excimer laser for biosensor applications. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A, 2011, 96(2):384-94.
- . Differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells onto highly adherent radio frequency-sputtered carbonated hydroxylapatite thin films. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A, 2010, 95(4):1203-14.IF=3.04
- . Liposomalization of lactoferrin enhanced its anti-tumoral effects on melanoma cells. Biometals : an international journal on the role of metal ions in biology, biochemistry, and medicine, 2010, 23(3):485-92.
- . Specific biofunctional performances of the hydroxyapatite-sodium maleate copolymer hybrid coating nanostructures evaluated by in vitro studies. Journal of materials science. Materials in medicine, 2009, 20(11):2305-16.
The overall goal of the current project is to understand the impact of tissue transglutaminase (TG2) targeting in the context of ovarian cancer (OC) tumor microenvironment (TME). Our aproach is aimed at testing the hypothesis that interventions in targeting TG2 in the OC TME will disrupt pro-tumorigenic signaling cross-talk within tumors.
The principal goal of this project is the development of a new class of small molecule inhibitors (SMIs) targeting TG2-FN interaction, which is currently in the phase of lead optimization, translatable to clinical use for prevention of ovarian cancer dissemination, either alone or in combinations.